After some headaches and trial and error I finally figured out how to provide VirtualBox its own dedicated NIC in Windows 10 without it causing network anomalies with the system.
- Properties of the dedicated NIC:
- Uncheck all items except the ‘VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver’ and IPv4
- IPv4 properties:
- Set the IP of the NIC to a different subnet than the host PC
- Do not set a gateway
- Do not set DNS servers
- IPv4 Advanced properties:
- Uncheck the ‘Register thsi connection’s addresses in DNS’ option
Additionally, if you want to disallow VirtualBox using your default host NIC, uncheck the ‘VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver’ in the host NIC properties.